
Gerwyn Price, the Welsh darts titan known as “The Iceman,” has been forced to pull out of the 2025 Flanders Darts Trophy in Antwerp, Belgium, due to a persistent hand infection that has derailed his preparations for the high-stakes PDC European Tour event. The tournament, set to unfold from August 29 to 31 at the Antwerp Expo, promised a thrilling showcase of darts’ biggest names, but Price’s absence leaves a void for fans who were eager to see the former world champion chase another title. His withdrawal, announced on August 29, 2025, came after a valiant effort to compete despite ongoing health struggles, as he shared a poignant update: “Unfortunately my hand hasn’t recovered in time for this weekend. I left it as late as possible in hopes I could give myself a chance, but it’s not meant to be.”
Price’s 2025 season has been a rollercoaster of triumphs and setbacks. The 40-year-old, ranked world No. 8, had been in scintillating form, clinching the Poland Darts Masters and the Baltic Sea Darts Open earlier this year. His powerful throwing style and unrelenting focus made him a favorite to contend for the £30,000 top prize at the Flanders Darts Trophy, the tenth of fourteen European Tour events. However, his hopes were dashed when a swollen right hand, later diagnosed as an infection, forced him to withdraw from the Players Championship 24 and 25 in Milton Keynes earlier that week. “Just what I didn’t want, back to the hospital it is,” Price posted on Instagram, sharing a grim image of his swollen hand, followed by a photo of himself with a drip in his arm, captioned, “Not a bed in sight.” These glimpses into his hospital visits underscored the severity of his condition and the emotional toll it took.
Hand injuries are not new for Price, who has faced similar challenges in the past. In 2022, a fractured hand sidelined him from a Premier League night, yet he remarkably won a Players Championship title despite the injury. “I knew I was struggling with my hand, but they told me it wasn’t broken, so I ploughed on,” he said at the time, revealing how mental “demons” affected his game. This time, the infection proved too stubborn, and despite his optimism—“Hopefully I’m fit for this weekend”—Price’s recovery didn’t progress as hoped. His decision to withdraw came after a final attempt to test his hand, including a hopeful post of a perfect 180 score, but the pain persisted. “Hopefully I’ll be there next week,” he added, eyeing a potential return at the Czech Darts Open.
The Flanders Darts Trophy’s £175,000 prize fund, with £12,000 for the runner-up and £8,500 for semi-finalists, highlights the stakes Price is missing out on. His withdrawal, announced after the tournament began, grants a bye to the winner of the first-round match between Ryan Joyce and Ricardo Pietreczko, who now advance directly to the third round. The absence of Price, a fan favorite in Belgium after years of evolving from darts’ “pantomime villain” to a beloved figure, will shift the spotlight to top seeds like Luke Littler and Michael van Gerwen. “The Belgian crowd always brings an incredible atmosphere,” one player noted, a sentiment Price echoed in his desire not to disappoint his supporters.
Price’s injury comes at a brutal time, with a packed schedule ahead. The World Series of Darts Finals and Czech Darts Open loom before September’s end, followed by major events like the World Grand Prix and European Championship. His history of resilience—winning the 2021 PDC World Championship and seven PDC majors, including three Grand Slam titles—suggests he won’t be sidelined for long. However, hand infections can be unpredictable, with recovery times potentially stretching from three to eight weeks, raising concerns about his participation in upcoming tournaments. “I’m not just saying this, but I need to get my hand 100 per cent,” Price said in 2022, a mindset likely guiding his cautious approach now.
Beyond darts, Price’s journey from a professional rugby player to a darts icon adds depth to his story. His grit, honed on the rugby fields of Wales, has carried him through adversity, from a 2019 fine for gamesmanship to crowd tensions at Alexandra Palace. “My mind’s not right, my darts don’t go right,” he once admitted, highlighting the mental battle that accompanies physical setbacks. As he focuses on recovery, Price’s fans remain hopeful that “The Iceman” will return to freeze out the competition, starting with the Czech Darts Open or beyond, proving once again why he’s one of darts’ most formidable warriors.
Leave a Reply