
Jack Draper, Britain’s No. 1 and the No. 5 seed at the 2025 US Open, sent shockwaves through the tennis world when he withdrew from the tournament before his second-round match against Zizou Bergs on August 27, 2025. The 23-year-old left-hander, who had been a standout performer all season, cited persistent discomfort in his left arm as the reason for his abrupt exit, leaving fans and analysts worried about his immediate future. Among those voicing concern was 2003 US Open champion Andy Roddick, who described the setback as deeply troubling for one of tennis’s brightest prospects. “Some upsetting news yesterday was that Jack pulled out of the tournament with an elbow injury after not having played since Wimbledon,” Roddick said on his *Served with Andy Roddick* podcast. “So this sucks. This is concerning.”
Draper’s 2025 had been nothing short of spectacular until this moment. The Briton, who reached a career-high ranking of No. 4 earlier in the year, stormed to his first ATP Masters 1000 title at Indian Wells in March and made a thrilling run to the Madrid Open final. “One of the best stories of the year was Draper and Indian Wells and Draper making the finals of Madrid,” Roddick noted, highlighting how the young star was “probably the third-best player in the world” until the Rome Masters in May. His semi-final appearance at the 2024 US Open, where he fell to eventual champion Jannik Sinner, had cemented his status as a potential disruptor to the dominance of Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz. Yet, an arm injury—diagnosed asinjury diagnosed as bone bruising in his left humerus—first surfaced during the clay season and worsened at Wimbledon, forcing Draper to skip the North American hard-court swing in Toronto and Cincinnati.
Despite the layoff, Draper arrived at Flushing Meadows determined to compete. His first-round victory over Argentine qualifier Federico Agustin Gomez in four sets was a gritty display, though signs of trouble were evident. During the match, Draper vomited multiple times and noticeably dialed back his serve speed to manage arm pain. “I’ve definitely had to rein in my serve a little bit to make sure to keep the pain down,” he said post-match, expressing cautious optimism about his recovery. His semi-final run in mixed doubles alongside Jessica Pegula further suggested he was regaining form. “I felt like my arm was shutting down a little bit when I was hitting forehands and on the serve,” he admitted before the tournament, yet insisted, “The arm for me is not a question mark.” However, a practice session on Wednesday morning revealed the injury’s persistence, prompting his withdrawal. “I tried my very best to be here and give myself every chance to play, but the discomfort in my arm has become too much,” Draper shared on social media, adding, “I have to do what is right and look after myself.”
Roddick, a long-time admirer of Draper’s game, expressed unease about the injury’s implications. “He was a massive breakout star starting with the US Open last year when he made the semis and lost to Sinner,” he said. “You try not to be negative and fear the worst, but it’s hard not when someone with this much potential, him and [Ben] Shelton maybe enter the conversation of disruptors [for Sinner and Alcaraz].” The American, who famously ended a 22-year drought for American men at the 2003 US Open, fears that Draper’s physical challenges could jeopardize his ATP Finals qualification in Turin, where he currently sits seventh in the race. “You just hope that it doesn’t go sideways or take six months,” Roddick added, reflecting the anxiety shared by Draper’s fans.
The timing of the setback is particularly cruel. Draper’s withdrawal means he’ll fail to defend his 2024 semi-final points, likely dropping him from the top eight in the ATP rankings. Tim Henman, who had breakfast with Draper and his coach James Trotman on the morning of the withdrawal, noted, “He was in good spirits,” but acknowledged the decision was wise. “You’re playing at this level, best-of-five sets, it’s got to be pretty close to ideal to be able to go out there,” Henman said. Laura Robson, also present, added, “He’s officially released a statement saying it was the arm that just didn’t hold up after the first round match.”
Draper’s team is now focused on rehabilitation, with a return targeted for the Asian hard-court swing, starting with the Chengdu Open on September 17 or the Japan Open in Tokyo on September 24. A full recovery could see him compete at the Shanghai Masters in October, crucial for his ATP Finals bid. Roddick, who has praised Draper’s improved backhand and physicality, remains optimistic: “Draper is in the next conversation [to challenge Alcaraz and Sinner], and he can disrupt the field.” As Draper heads back to the UK for medical assessments, his resilience and “big leftie serve” will be key to reclaiming his momentum and silencing doubts about his durability.
Leave a Reply