
Leylah Fernandez, Canada’s brightest tennis star, walked off the court at the 2025 National Bank Open in Montreal with tears streaming down her face, her heart heavy with disappointment. Just two days after hoisting the WTA 500 title at the Citi Open in Washington, D.C., the 22-year-old from Laval, Quebec, suffered a crushing 6-4, 6-1 first-round loss to Australia’s Maya Joint on July 29, 2025, at IGA Stadium. The defeat, which lasted a mere 75 minutes, was not just a blow to her hometown fans but a moment of frustration that led Fernandez to publicly criticize the tournament organizers for a grueling schedule that she believes set her up for failure. “I did not receive that,” she said, referring to unfulfilled promises of a night-session slot that would have allowed her more recovery time. “That hurt me because I was very looking forward to be playing at night, but I guess it’s a little bit political issues at that point.”
Fernandez’s journey to Montreal was a whirlwind. After defeating Anna Kalinskaya 6-1, 6-2 in the Washington final on Sunday, she rushed to the airport, landing in Montreal at 2 a.m. Monday. With only three hours of sleep, she was back at IGA Stadium by 8 a.m. for an event with her foundation, leaving little time for rest or preparation. “It felt great being on court, hearing the fans and feeling their support. I was just disappointed with my level of play, and it wasn’t fair for them,” she told reporters, her voice tinged with regret. The fatigue was evident as she struggled, winning just 49% of her first-serve points and conceding six break points to Joint, a 19-year-old ranked No. 45 who capitalized on Fernandez’s second serves to win 75% of those points. This was a stark contrast to their Washington encounter, where Fernandez had dominated Joint in straight sets.
The scheduling controversy lies at the heart of Fernandez’s frustration. She had been assured a Tuesday night slot to accommodate her tight turnaround, but learned on Sunday while traveling that she would play in the day session instead, with top seed Coco Gauff taking the evening spotlight against Danielle Collins. “They asked him with a sarcastic tone if two or three hours would make a difference,” Fernandez said of the WTA’s response to her coach and father, Jorge Fernandez. “Yes, it would make a great difference. Maybe I win the match, maybe I don’t, but of course it helps the two to three hours where I could sleep a little more.” She highlighted the missed opportunity for physical recovery, like a stretching session or massage, which could have alleviated the strain of her three-hour semifinal against Elena Rybakina in Washington’s steamy conditions.
Tournament director Valérie Tétreault acknowledged the issue, admitting she fought for Fernandez’s preferred slot but was overruled by WTA protocols. “I didn’t win my fight,” Tétreault said, noting that first-round matches must conclude before second-round play begins to ensure fairness. “The calendar is supposed to be made so that the 1000-level tournaments are prioritized over a WTA 500,” she added, pointing to the scheduling conflict between the National Bank Open’s main draw start and Washington’s final on the same day. Tennis Canada emphasized that Fernandez’s match was placed in the latest possible first-round slot, but the decision did little to ease her frustration.
Fernandez’s 2025 season had been a rollercoaster before her Washington triumph. With a 16-17 record and personal challenges, including hospital visits for her mother and sister, she described the first half of the year as “pretty s**t.” Yet, her D.C. run—highlighted by wins over top seed Jessica Pegula and Rybakina—marked her biggest career title and a 12-spot rankings jump to No. 24. “It’s been a lot of learning,” she said of her struggles, crediting the positive team environment in Washington for her resurgence. Playing in Montreal, where her tennis journey began, was deeply personal, making the early exit even more painful. “My level of play does not translate well (with) what I was actually feeling because I was feeling so happy,” she shared, underscoring the emotional weight of performing for her home crowd.
The National Bank Open proved challenging for other Canadians as well. Bianca Andreescu, the 2019 champion, withdrew with a left ankle injury sustained during her first-round win, while Rebecca Marino fell 6-1, 6-2 to Emma Navarro in the second round. As Fernandez looks ahead to the Cincinnati Open and US Open, her Montreal experience serves as a call for better scheduling to protect players’ well-being. Her candid critique, echoed by fans on social media, highlights the need for the WTA to prioritize recovery for players like Fernandez, whose passion and talent continue to inspire despite the odds.
Leave a Reply