
In a late-night thriller at the 2025 National Bank Open in Toronto, former world No. 1 Daniil Medvedev suffered a stunning defeat to defending champion Alexei Popyrin on July 31, 2025, falling 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 in a third-round clash that stretched past midnight. The match, a rollercoaster of momentum shifts, ended with Medvedev storming off the Sobeys Stadium court without collecting his tennis bag or rackets, leaving fans and commentators buzzing with a mix of amusement and bewilderment. This uncharacteristic exit, captured on viral video, underscored the frustration of a player grappling with a title drought and a challenging 2025 season, now facing a critical juncture as the US Open looms.
Medvedev, the 2021 Toronto champion, started strongly, capitalizing on Popyrin’s 25 unforced errors to clinch the first set 7-5 with a 54% second-serve point win rate. “I felt like I should have won that first set,” Popyrin later reflected, acknowledging his early struggles. However, the 18th-seeded Australian, buoyed by his 2024 title run, adjusted his tactics, focusing on powerful serves—landing 61% of first serves—and aggressive net play, approaching 12 times in the first set alone. Early breaks in the second and third sets shifted the momentum, as Popyrin’s 37 winners overwhelmed Medvedev’s defense. “I was in the driver’s seat, I felt really comfortable out there, and then something happened,” Popyrin said, referencing a mid-match lapse similar to their 2024 Rome encounter. “I had to revert to the main tactics… serving and coming to the net and not giving him the same rhythm.”
Medvedev’s frustration was palpable. Down 1-3 in the second set, he whiffed a backhand and playfully mimicked searching for the ball, a moment of levity that delighted the crowd. “Another Meddy moment,” Tennis TV captioned the clip, showcasing his knack for diffusing tension with humor. Yet, as Popyrin surged, Medvedev’s serve faltered, landing just 43% of first serves in the opener, and his baseline play couldn’t counter the Aussie’s relentless pace. After shaking hands with Popyrin and the umpire, Medvedev made a beeline for the locker room, leaving his gear behind—a rare breach of routine that sparked social media frenzy. “It’s past midnight, and Daniil Medvedev wants to catch some sleep,” Sportsnet quipped, while fans posted laughing emojis and clips of the abandoned bag.
This loss extends Medvedev’s title drought to 46 tournaments, dating back to his 2023 Rome victory. His 2025 season, with a 25-15 record, has been marred by early exits, including first-round losses at Wimbledon and the French Open. “I lost more matches than I generally do,” Medvedev admitted earlier this year, reflecting on his slide to world No. 14. Despite reaching the 2024 Australian Open final, where he led Jannik Sinner by two sets before losing, and a Halle final, Medvedev has struggled to match the dominance of his 2021 US Open triumph. “When I play my best tennis, I can beat anyone,” he said in Doha, expressing hope to reclaim his form. His Toronto defeat, coupled with a quarterfinal loss to Corentin Moutet in Washington’s heatwave, highlights the urgency to regroup before Cincinnati and New York.
Popyrin, now 12-16 in 2025, advances to face fifth seed Holger Rune, a rematch of their 2023 Rome clash. “Once Medvedev found his rhythm, I had to shift back to my original plan,” Popyrin said, crediting his big serving and net attacks for the upset. For Medvedev, the viral exit—rackets and bag left courtside—symbolizes a deeper struggle. Known for his quirky personality, from trolling US Open crowds in 2019 to a 2021 camera collision in Cincinnati where he exclaimed, “I almost broke my hand,” Medvedev’s antics often endear him to fans. Yet, this Toronto moment felt more like burnout than comedy, a stark reminder of a champion seeking to rediscover his spark.
Daniil Medvedev est rentré directement aux vestiaires sans son sac après sa défaite contre Alexei Popyrin à Toronto. 💀 pic.twitter.com/pShieh9qT1
— Univers Tennis 🎾 (@UniversTennis) August 1, 2025
Leave a Reply