When could Jack Draper return from injury after US Open withdrawal?

Jack Draper, Britain’s No. 1 tennis player and the No. 5 seed at the 2025 US Open, faced a heartbreaking setback when he withdrew from the tournament before his second-round match against Zizou Bergs on August 27, 2025. The 23-year-old left-hander, who had electrified Flushing Meadows with a semi-final run in 2024, was forced to pull out due to persistent discomfort in his left arm, an injury that has plagued him since Wimbledon. Despite his initial optimism, the lingering pain proved too much, leaving fans and analysts wondering when the rising star might return to the court. “I tried my very best to be here and give myself every chance to play, but the discomfort in my arm has become too much,” Draper shared on social media, his words reflecting both disappointment and a resolve to prioritize recovery.

Draper’s 2025 season had been a breakthrough, marked by his biggest career triumph at Indian Wells in March, where he claimed a prestigious ATP Masters 1000 title. His powerful left-handed game, blending precision serves with aggressive forehands, had positioned him as a contender for the ATP Finals in Turin in November, with a top-eight ranking in the season-long standings. However, an arm injury—diagnosed as bone bruising in his left humerus after a second-round loss to Marin Čilić at Wimbledon—disrupted his preparations. The injury, which first surfaced during the clay-court season in April and worsened on grass, forced Draper to skip key North American tournaments in Toronto and Cincinnati. “I found out I had an injury in my arm, which I had been playing with for a little while,” he explained earlier in August, noting that he took time off to focus on fitness and protect his arm.

Entering the US Open just seven weeks after his diagnosis—earlier than the recommended eight-week recovery timeline—Draper showed courage but limited match practice. His first-round win over Argentine qualifier Federico Agustin Gomez in four sets was a gritty effort, though he admitted to reining in his serve to manage pain. “I’ve definitely had to rein in my serve a little bit to make sure to keep the pain down,” he said post-match, emphasizing his determination to compete. He even tested his arm in mixed doubles alongside Jessica Pegula, reaching the semi-finals, which boosted his confidence. “The arm for me is not a question mark,” he told reporters before his withdrawal, insisting he wouldn’t play unless he believed in his ability to go deep. Yet, after a practice session on Wednesday at Flushing Meadows, the discomfort intensified, leading to his tough decision to withdraw. “I have to do what is right and look after myself,” he added, acknowledging the need for caution.

The withdrawal has sparked concern about Draper’s immediate future, particularly his chances of qualifying for the ATP Finals. Currently a strong contender for Turin, an extended layoff could see him slip from the top eight, with significant events in Japan and China looming before the European indoor season. Former world No. 9 Andrea Petkovic, commenting on the BBC, noted, “Adrenaline can do things to your body—you might feel fine for weeks and after a four-set match it can feel aggravated.” She added that bone injuries like Draper’s are notoriously tricky, often flaring up if rushed. Tim Henman, another pundit, expressed concern after Draper’s first-round match, observing, “There will be questions about his arm,” despite praising his fighting spirit.

Draper’s next steps involve returning to the UK for further medical assessments to determine the injury’s severity. While no official return date has been confirmed, his team is targeting the Asian hard-court swing, starting with the ATP 250 event in Chengdu on September 17, 2025, where he is the highest-ranked player entered. The Japan Open in Tokyo, an ATP 500 event beginning September 24, and the Shanghai Masters, starting October 1, are also on his schedule, though his participation hinges on recovery progress. “I’m really looking forward to going out to the US Open, and I’m in a great place personally and tennis-wise,” Draper said before the tournament, a sentiment that reflects his optimism despite the setback.

Draper’s history of injuries, including shoulder and abdominal issues earlier in his career, has made physical resilience a focal point. His work at the National Tennis Centre in Roehampton, where he underwent a rigorous fitness block post-Wimbledon, had shown progress, with his Indian Wells title signaling a new level of durability. “I’m really motivated to come back and do a really good fitness block and work myself hard physically,” he noted in July, highlighting his commitment to long-term health. If recovery progresses smoothly, Draper could return in Chengdu, just over two weeks after his withdrawal, though a cautious approach may delay his comeback to Tokyo or Shanghai to ensure he’s fully fit for the ATP Finals push.

As Draper navigates this latest challenge, his 2024 US Open run—where he defeated Botic van de Zandschulp, Tomas Machac, and Alex de Minaur before falling to Jannik Sinner—remains a source of inspiration. “Last year’s US Open was amazing—it gave me so much confidence,” he reflected. With his talent and determination, Draper’s focus now is on healing and returning stronger, aiming to reclaim his place among tennis’s elite by November’s Turin showdown.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*